Birgitta Jónsdóttir, Member of the Icelandic Parliament for the Movement party, and one of the chief sponsors of the Icelandic Modern Media Initiative, discusses the initiative. She explains how it was crafted, who it would protect and how, and Wikileaks’ influence on it. Jónsdóttir specifically discusses the proposal’s impact on journalists, sources, whistleblowers, libel tourism, superinjunctions, freedom of information, prior restraint, and government transparency. She also talks about the inspiration behind the initiative, which stems partly from her background as a writer and activist, and her path to the Icelandic Parliament.
- Icelandic Modern Media Initiative
- “Iceland aims to become a legal safe haven for journalists”, guardian.co.uk
- “What will Iceland’s new media laws mean for journalists?”, Nieman Journalism Lab
- “No Secrets: Julian Assange’s mission for total transparency”, The New Yorker
- Birgitta Jónsdóttir official blogspot